11 March 2011

Leotie Loves: Hope & Greenwood


A few weeks ago, I posted about the fantasy location of my work’s latest photoshoot, which was an AMAZING Vintage Candy Shop in South London, called Hope & Greenwood. As part of the follow up from the shot, I got to interview the clever Miss Hope, co-founder and co-owner of the shop.

As I work for a children’s fashion company, some of her answers couldn’t be posted on our company blog (you will see why as you read), but they were just too witty and charming to leave off the net, so, without further adieu, here is my interview with my new favourite London celebrity, Miss Hope:

Did you enjoy sweets as children?
Pink Panther bars after mass for me. Pineapple cubes for Mr G.

What was your childhood like?
Daubed with tubes of watercolour, Fuzzy Felts, Gloy Glue, Flip flops, Super Mousse (frozen) and nylon pyjamas with a badly positioned ring pull.

Where were you brought up?
Sunderland, I know how to party.

Do you have any brothers and sisters?
Yes my little sis Maggy.

Any funny childhood memories or stories?  
None whatsoever.  I spent most of childhood hiding in a wardrobe eating Wagon Wheels and twiddling the wheels on my roller skate (singular).

How did Hope and Greenwood begin?
A late supper of red meat washed down by too much Rioja and a desire never to go on holiday ever again.

Did you from an early age want to work with sweets? 
Ever since my little sis’ and I played sweetshops in our back garden, ever since my parents only let me have one Pink Panther Bar, ever since I found out my mother regularly hid Mars Bars in her hostess trolley (this is not a euphemism).

What are your favourite sweets?
Miss Hope’s Magnificent Jellies in particular Cherry Hearts.

What are your favourite chocolates?
Rose and Violet Creams.

The chocolates in store are produced exclusively by yourselves; can you tell me about what makes them different from other chocolates?
They are British, made with fresh cream, butter and proper vanilla. They are enrobed twice like wearing two cashmere scarves at once.

How do you come up with all of the different recipes and flavours?
Insomnia

How many different flavours of sweets do you have?
 400!

How many different flavours of chocolates do you have?
About 40

What are the best sellers?
Champagne truffles, followed by champagne truffles, though our Oozy Caramel is truly splendid.

The most unusual sweet you sell?
Fizz! Bang Wallops! Sweets with va-va -voom.

Owning and working with sweets do you still actually enjoy them?
Unfortunately yes.

You have a very vintage aesthetic to the store, can you tell me about that?
Rose tinted glasses of a gentler time when we played knock-down -ginger, ate Vesta curry and my granny lived next door. The brand rule is ‘if my granny had it in her pantry - then we stock it.’

Do you have any children?
Jake (20) Rich (35) Vicky (32) and 4 grandchildren, we are their favourite grandparents.

What are their favourite sweets?
Magic Millions and all the other free sweets.

What do you enjoy most about owning a sweetshop?
Making people smile, it’s a happy place.

Any funny stories or memories from working with sweets?
The customer in Selfridges who spat a flying saucer into my hankie at a book signing, how I laughed! Laughed I tell you, like bloody drain.

Your shop is often used as a location for shoots, what has been either the weirdest or most imaginative shoot you have seen?
Loaded, yes ,Loaded. (click this LINK and scroll down...ummm) 

Easter is almost here, what sweet treat would you recommend for the occasion?
You absolutely MUST try our Strawberry truffle eggs as recommended in Delicious Magazine.

-Visit the Hope & Greenwood website here -
- Read my last post on my visit to Hope & Greenwood here -

1 comment:

Giovanna ♥ said...

Very nice interview! Thanks for sharing!
xoxo
Giovanna
Boho Market Blog