Tonight I’m going to a friend’s flat for dinner to dine and drink wine with my lovely single friends. As it is sort of like a pot luck, and baking is my forte, my plan was to make these RedVelvet Cupcakes which Baker Chic kindly did up; however, as I was incredibly distracted by re-runs of David Attenborough’s Africa, the poor little cupcakes burnt to a crisp – leaving me to fall back on store bought goodies – despite my efforts.
Here is the fated recipe, I wish you luck! Happy Valentine’s Day!
Yield: 2 cupcakes
For The Cupcake
· 1 tablespoon butter, melted
· 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon white sugar
· 1 tablespoon sour cream
· ½ teaspoon white vinegar
· ½ teaspoon red food colouring
· 1 egg white*
· 3 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons all purpose flour
· ¾ teaspoon cocoa powder
· ½ teaspoon baking powder
· pinch of salt
Cream Cheese Frosting for Two
· 2 ox. Cream cheese – softened
· 2 tablespoons of butter – softened
· ½- ¾ cup powdered sugar
· ¼ tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, coca, baking powder and salt.
3. In a second small bowl or spouted measuring cup, combine the melted butter and sugar. Stir until well-combined.
4. Add the sour cream, vanilla, vinegar, food colouring and egg white, and mix until smooth and creamy.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and stir til combined – being careful not to over-mix.
6. Divide batter between two cupcake liners, bake for 15-18 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
7. FROSTING: beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla the powdered sugar, ¼ cup at a time and mix until frosting is free of lumps, creamy and spreadable.
*from a medium or large egg. If using a jumbo or extra large egg, don’t use the entire white, it will change the texture of the cake!