14 October 2016

#GoneGreen2016 | Day 193 | Zero Waste Challenge | La Masia

zero waste, la masia, leotie lovely, barcelona
Day 193 / 365

Zero Waste Challenge Day 14 of 14.
Date: October 14th
Location: Vilafranca del Pened├Ęs, SPAIN
Read: About The Challenge HERE | Day 1 HERE | 
Day 2 HERE | Day 3 HERE | Day 4 HERE | Day 5 HERE | Day 6 HERE | Day 7 HERE | Day 8 HERE | Day 9 HERE | Day 10 HERE | Day 11 HERE | Day 12 HERE | Day 13 HERE


I met my husfriend 3 years ago, pretty much to the day that we arrived in Vilafranca del Penedes to visit his family for the first time as a pair. His mother's side has inhabited the rolling hills and sprawling vineyards surrounding this sweet town for decades, and I'd heard many tales of the bright vibrant souls who are still very much alive and kicking. 

I'd been looking forward to visiting the fabled La Masia where my mother-in-law's aunt, cousins and second cousins congregate, and at long last that day came.

Josep Anton, my mother-in-law's energetic, hilarious, and captivating cousin picked us up and took us up and away from the family apartment in town to their beautiful 16th century home filled with art, heart and relics. This family is one of the few I've come across in my life who can balance making fun of eachother constantly with simultaneous and continuous acts of love. Each member of the family is an absolute character and the magic of the meaningful moments which passed were like scenes from some spectacular movie, wacky and wonderful all in one. Though I don't speak Catalan, and my Spanish is terrible at best, I'm fairly good at following due to their similarity to French, and despite it all I was stuck in a state of laughter from beginning to end. 
eco, zero waste, ethical, spain, leotie lovely, shane woodward, holly rose
We basically sang and danced to the hum of Catalonian opera music which drifted through the breeze, then ate and drank to the point of digestive failure all the while wrapped in the cosy embrace of the pastel skies, olive trees and acres of grape vines which surrounded the serene scene. 


As spectacular as it was, it was not perhaps the greenest of gatherings as we consumed beer from glass, water from plastic (I don't think their water was potable) and each ate our body weight in cheese, meats and freshly baked sweets. It was a perfect example of why I am and will remain somewhere between a Freegan and Flexitarian. We eat vegan at home because it's the friendliest way for our bodies, the planet and animals to coexist, but beyond my world of control in which I choose the items I purchase, I truly feel it is neither green nor friendly to animals to turn away food offered and send it instead to waste (which causes as much, if not more damage to the planet than production of these things). 

We're extremely lucky, those of us who have the privilege to choose our diets while others struggle to find anything to eat - sounds preachy, I know - but it is logical too. It is neither conscious nor right (to me) to push away food prepared for you due solely to idealistic beliefs.
After we'd stuffed ourselves full to the absolute brim we wandered down the country road to get a view of the magnificent Montserrat at sundown, sprawling above the vineyards now silhouetted in skies of pink, purple and blue. We walked over to their closest neighbour who live 5-10 minutes down the road, who gave us gourds from their garden and almonds from their trees. It was idyllic and magical, to say the least. 

Upon returning to the house we were presented with gorgeous handknit sweaters to protect us from the cold, and continued our carnivorous consumption and cheerful celebrations late into the evening, leaving me tired, but inspired for growth into their way of being.  


DAY 14 TALLY
[Landfill] 
7 Cigarettes (because I have zero willpower) 

[Recycling]
7 Beer Bottles
1 Bottle of Champagne 


[Compost]
1 Section of Silk Dental Floss 

FOLLOW MY FRIENDS
A Bunch of my blogger buddies at EWC are participating in the challenge too, follow their reflections here (in alphabetical order):
ECO CULT
MY KIND CLOSET
REBECCA BRATBURD
STYLE WISE
SUSTAINABLY CHIC
SUSTAINING LIFE
THE NOTEPASSER
TORTOISE AND LADY GREY



No comments: